The study of Economics offers an insight into a broad range of issues in Australia and around the world, including:
- A contest with the taxman – the impact of tax rates on tax evasion and wastefully invested resources
- The cost of toilet paper in Zimbabwe
- Managing Eden: using incentive theory for wildlife protection
- Foreign aid: what good is it?
- Micro-credit, fertility decision and women’s empowerment in Bangladesh
- Regulating a fishery when prices are uncertain
- Resource abundance, poverty and development
- Are we really making best use of our water?
- Environmentalism, democracy, and pollution control
- Creating markets for greenhouse gas emissions
- What drives productivity growth in Australia?
- Can we explain the cycles in our economy and in the world?
- Will the China boom continue? What does it mean for Australia?
- How can we reduce the number of people living in poverty around the world?
- How can we make our welfare system more effective?
- Our population is ageing – what challenges will that create?
- How should responsibilities be divided between state and federal governments?